Spotlight News Masthead2

Thursday, June 30, 2022
Find Spotlight Newspaper on Facebook Find Spotlight Newspaper on Twitter Find Spotlight Newspaper on Pinterest Spotlight Newspaper channel coming soon!
be enlightened, inspired and empowered...

Heard of music user license?

Have you heard of music user license? Due to lot of piracy in the country djs and music users (Pubs, clubs, shopping malls, wedding venues, mini bus taxis, concepts and mobile djs ) are advised to apply for a “Music users license”

“We don’t make the rules. It’s laid out in the copyright Act and its part of South African law. If the music you play isn’t written, created, performed and recorded by you, it belongs to the music creator and you need a license” stated on the SAMRO website.

In order to get people obey the obligation SAMRO, RISA and other music copyright authorities teamed up with SAPS to arrest music users without license.

Producer Bob’ezy “Busa” hit maker was the victim of the arrest last Frida in Cubana,

Pretoria. According to SAMRO it takes two weeks to receive the license after applying, the license is charged at R890 and it has to be renewed annually at same cost. Djs are required to pay R74 per gig. One can only play without license if you’re a performer and you perform/play your own music beside this you need to have a formal agreement with the owner/producer of the music you’re playing.

For application form visit SAMRO and RISA websites to download one or obtain forms physical at their offices. You can contact them at 011 712 800 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Spotlight Classifieds Icon

Spotlight Classified Banner

...the world under Spotlight News!

Copyright © 2016